Llanon Home

 Llansantffraed History Society

War Memorial


Radar Station


Members of the Llanon Section of the Home Guard met for training at the school.  The first commander was Captain Richards, Dolennog, followed by J E Jones, Whitehall.   They often did drill near where Whitehall Garage is today.  When they practiced marching along the main road, young boys would follow behind copying them.

Joining the Home Guard was especially popular with farm boys as they were given a pair of boots and a uniform.  The sports days they organised were popular with everyone.

If the enemy had landed in Llanon, it was the job of the Home guard to lead local resistance - the last line of defence.

"....we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on the beaches; we shall fight on the landing grounds; we shall fight in the fields and in the streets; we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...."
Winston Churchill June 4th 1940



Expert plane spotters were crucial to the defence of the skies above Britain.  The job of the Observer Corps was to identify and report the approach of enemy aircraft by sight or sound.  anti aircraft guns and fighter planes would then try to intercept them. Margaret E Evans of Llanon was a member or the Royal Observer corps.


The Observer's post was in the field behind the "Mount". The Senior Observer was Evan Lewis of Brynglas, commanding Observers Captain Evans of Myrtledene, John Evans of Wellington Villa, Cockney George, Captain Evans of Cartref and Captain Jenkins of Millet Park



The Coastguards walked the coast from post to post between Llanrhystud and Morfa keeping watch for signs of enemy activity at sea. In 1943 Coastguards for Llanon were Mr Isaac of Picton, Mr Vaughan of Lunaria, Mr Parry of Carpentaria, Mr Lewis Owen of Cledan, Mr Richards of Belle Vue, J Evans of Morlais and Mr Jones of Glasfor.

 Mr Tom Isaac, Coastguard

From a local press report of 6 December 1940 :
LLANON COASTGUARD'S DISCOVERY. Body of a Ship's Captain Washed Ashore.  First Indication of Vessel's Doom.
Whilst engaged in his normal duties on Friday at Llanon, Coastguard Tom Isaac made a sad discovery when he came across the body of a seaman which had been washed ashore.  A description of the seaman was circulated and he was subsequently identified as Captain Thomas Ford (56) of Warrington, a widower with two daughters.  This finding of his body was the first indication that the ship, of which he had been the master, had been lost.  It was last heard of on November 11th, when it left Cork for Fishguard.
Capt. Ford was the master of the SS Ardmore, which, with a cargo of livestock etc and a crew of 25 left Cork on November 11th for Fishguard.  The ship should have reached its destination the following day, but nothing has ever been heard of the ship or how it met its fate.  Soon after the ship left Cork, it is stated, a violent gale blew up and this might have been the cause of the ship's disappearance. No other member of the crew has yet been found, but carcasses of cattle and pigs washed up on isolated spots between Aberystwyth and Newquay are believed to belong to the doomed vessel.
Capt Ford's body was identified by Mr J H Geach, the Fishguard manager of the City of Cork Steam Packet Company Ltd.

LLANON POLICE during World War II

Special Constable - Inspector, Captain J O Evans of Islwyn

Sergeant              - E Stephens of Fronfoel

Constables           - S Edwards of London House and Mr Lewis of Albion


 Diweddariad olaf  16/04/14        Hawlfraint & Cyfrinachol                                                                       Last updated   16/04/14        Copyright & Privacy     Webmaster